You may renew your passport by mail if you meet all of the following requirements:
Your most recent U.S Passport:
- Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application.
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older.
- Was issued within the last 15 years.
- Was issued in your current name or you have changed your name and can submit legal documentation (e.g. marriage certificate, Change of Name Deed) to prove this change.
- Your U.S. passport has not been limited from the normal ten year validity period due to passport damage/mutilation, multiple passport thefts/losses, or non-compliance with 22 C.F.R. 51.41. (Please refer to the back pages of your U.S. passport book for endorsement information).
If you do not meet all these requirements, please follow the instructions here.
How to Request Renewal of your U.S. Passport by Mail – via DHL –
Please mail the following documents via DHL only:
- Your most recent U.S. passport;
- One U.S. passport sized (2x2inch) photograph – see photo requirements for information. Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected;
- If you have changed your name since your previous U.S. passport was issued, you will be required to furnish evidence of your name change, such as marriage certificate, Change of Name Deed Poll or Statutory Declaration and court order;
- The non-refundable application fee for a passport renewal by mail is $110.00.
Local Banker’s Cashier Check (also known in Spanish as “Cheque Certificado”) in U.S. dollars only made payable to the “US Embassy Panama” (Banker’s Drafts must have been issued within the last five months);
- Form DS-82. Complete the form online, print and sign it. Please DO NOT mail the form to the United States.
Address in form DS-82: Please read the following information regarding address in Form DS-82:
Block #8 of Form DS-82: Please write a local/Panamanian (known as Street address)
Block #18 of Form DS-82: Please write a permanent address in Block #18, or note “Same as #8” if this is your case.
IMPORTANT: Please include a pre-paid DHL for the return of your old and new passports. Please contact DHL to arrange pick up/delivery/return of your documents.
- Passport, applications and supporting documents should be sent via DHL to:
American Embassy Panama
ATTN: American Citizen Services
Building 783, Demetrio Basilio Lakas Avenue
Incomplete, unsigned or incorrect applications will not be accepted and will delay processing.
DHL will collect your documents, deliver them to the Embassy, and return them to you once processing has been completed. It is important to make a note of your tracking number at the time you book the service. DHL will provide you with the envelope at the time they collect your documents.
Location of DHL branches within Panama City:
• DHL Costa del Este: Av. Centenario. Diagonal a la Estación Terpel. | Telf. 271-3400 | Horario: Lun- Vie: 8:00 a.m. a 8:00 p.m. Sáb:8:00 a.m. a 2:00 p.m. WhatsApp:6323-8824
• DHL Av. Balboa: Centro Comercial Balboa Boutique Panama Strip Mall. Local A014 Telf. 271-3510 | Horario: Lun- Vie: 9:00 a.m. a 6:00 p.m. Sáb:8:00 a.m. a 1:00 p.m. WhatsApp:6323-8796
• DHL Multimax: Av. Ricardo J.Alfaro. Al lado de Multimax. Tumba Muerto. | Telf. 271-3521 | Horario: Lun- Vie: 9:00 a.m. a 6:00 p.m. Sáb: 8:00 a.m. a 1:00 p.m. WhatsApp:6325-1961
• DHL Obarrio: Av. Samuel Lewis. Al lado de Piruetas. Obarrio. | Telf. 271-3511 | Horario: Lun- Vie: 9:00 a.m. a 6:00 p.m. WhatsApp:6324-5956
• DHL Punta Pacífica: Edificio Metro Bank, planta baja. Entrando por el Hospital Punta Pacífica. | Telf. 271-3515 | Horario: Lun- Vie: 9:00 a.m. a 6:00 p.m. WhatsApp:6323-8817
• DHL Zona Libre de Colón: Av. Roosevelt. Calle 15 y 16. Servicios Aeroportuarios. Planta Baja. Local PB-7 | Telf. 430-9107 | Horario: Lun- Vie: 8:00 a.m. a 5:00 p.m. WhatsApp:6325-1963
About the Adult passport renewal fee:
The Passport fee is a non-refundable processing fee and is retained by the Department of State whether or not the passport is issued.
Adult Passport Book (Renewals) – $110
Please note: There is no expedited service outside the United States.
Accepted payment methods for passport renewal by mail are:
- Local Banker’s Cashier Check (also known in Spanish as “Cheque Certificado”) in U.S. dollars only made payable to the “US Embassy Panama” (Banker’s Drafts must have been issued within the last five months).
Please note: We are not authorized to accept personal checks.