In order to save you time and process your passport application in the most efficient and timely manner, we request that applicants who meet the requirements for Adult Passport Renewals using form DS-82 renew by mail (via DHL).
Renewing by mail will save you time and an unnecessary journey to the Embassy and ensure that appointments are reserved for only those applicants that require them.
Thank you for renewing by mail!
You may renew your passport BY MAIL if you meet all of the following requirements:
Your most recent U.S Passport:
- Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application.
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older.
- Was issued within the last 15 years.
- Was issued in your current name or you have changed your name and can submit legal documentation (e.g. marriage certificate, Change of Name Deed) to prove this change.
- Your U.S. passport has not been limited from the normal ten year validity period due to passport damage/mutilation, multiple passport thefts/losses, or non-compliance with 22 C.F.R. 51.41. (Please refer to the back pages of your U.S. passport book for endorsement information).
If you do not meet all these requirements, please follow the instructions here.
Please review all Steps below if you meet the requirements for Renewal of your Adult Passport by Mail:
Please mail the following documents via DHL only:
- Your most recent U.S. passport;
- One U.S. passport sized (2x2inch) photograph – see Step 2 for photograph requirements Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected;
- If you have changed your name since your previous U.S. passport was issued, you will be required to furnish evidence of your name change, such as marriage certificate, Change of Name Deed Poll or Statutory Declaration and court order;
- Local Banker’s Cashier Check
- Form DS-82 complete the form online, print and sign it. Please DO NOT mail the form to the United States.
Block #5 of forms DS-82: Social Security Number. Since November 2017, every person applying for a US passport must provide his or her Social Security Number. If you don’t have a Social Security number, you will need to submit a Social Security Declaration or Statement, signed and dated. If you do have one, but does not remember it, please contact the Social Security Regional Office in Costa Rica at FBU.CostaRica@SSA.Gov so they can guide you on how to request a copy of your social security card.
SSN Declaration Social Security Declaration
Block #9 of Form DS-82: List all other names you have used. (Examples: Birth Name, Maiden, Previous Marriage, Legal Name Change. Attach additional pages if needed)
Address: Please read the information below regarding address in Form DS-82:
Block #8 of Form DS-82: Please write a local/Panamanian (known as Street address)
Block #18 of Form DS-82: Please write a permanent address in Block #18, or note “Same as #8” if this is your case.
If you submit a type of payment that cannot be accepted for your service, or if the amount is incorrect, your application will be delayed.
How Much to Pay: The Application Fee for Adult Passport Renewal by Mail is: $110.00 (The Passport fee is a non-refundable processing fee and is retained by the Department of State whether or not the passport is issued.)
Method of Application: By mail – via DHL
Accepted Payment Method: Local Banker’s Cashier Check (Cheque de Gerencia) or a Certified Check of a Panamanian personal checking account(Cheque Certificado) in U.S. dollars only made payable to the “US Embassy Panama” (Banker’s Drafts must have been issued within the last five months); The non-refundable application fee for a passport renewal by mail is $110.00.
IMPORTANT: Please submit the exact fee amount. There is no expedite fee for U.S. passport applications in Panama. Therefore please disregard any fee amounts or expedite fees stated on the application form you completed as that information is not relevant for applicants outside the United States.
We cannot accept cash (notes or coins), credit or debit cards for applications by mail. We are also unable to accept electronic transfer, personal or company checks (cheques), SWIFT transfers, IBAN transfers, e-transfers, certified checks, traveler’s checks, or counter checks.
Social Security Numbers
If you have been issued a social security number you must provide it on your application for a U.S. passport.
If you fail to provide the information, you will encounter a delay in processing and/or denial of your passport application. You will also be subject to a $500 penalty enforced by the IRS pursuant to Section 6039E of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 6039E). All questions on this matter should be directed to the nearest IRS office.
If you do not have a Social Security Number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”
If you have been issued a social security number and cannot remember it, or are unsure as to whether you have ever been issued one, you will encounter a delay with the processing and/or denial of your passport application. Contact the Social Security Administration in Costa Rica or email them at FBU.CostaRica@SSA.Gov for information about obtaining a new or replacement Social Security number and card.
How To Submit your Passport by Mail
If you are in Panama you are required to apply for the passport service through the U.S. Consular Section in Panama. Please do not send your application to the Passport Agency in the United States.
DHL is a private courier agency that provides courier services on behalf of the Consular Section.
The Embassy cannot assume any responsibility for the efficiency, integrity or reliability of DHL. The service provided is solely a matter between the customer and DHL.
DHL will collect your required documents, deliver them to the Embassy, and return them to you once processing has been completed. It is important to make a note of your tracking number at the time you book the service. DHL will provide you with the envelope at the time they collect your documents.
Address in DHL envelope:
Your required documents should be sent to our Consular Section via DHL to:
- American Embassy Panama
ATTN: American Citizen Services
Building 783, Demetrio Basilio Lakas Avenue
- Please include a pre-paid DHL for the return of your old and new passports.
- Please contact DHL to arrange pick up/delivery/return of your documents.
Incomplete, unsigned or incorrect applications will not be accepted and will delay processing.
Location of DHL Branches in Panama:
A list of DHL Branches in Panama City:
- DHL Costa del Este: Av. Centenario. Diagonal a la Estación Terpel. | Telf. 271-3400 | Horario: Lun- Vie: 8:00 a.m. a 8:00 p.m. Sáb:8:00 a.m. a 2:00 p.m. WhatsApp:6323-8824
- DHL Av. Balboa: Centro Comercial Balboa Boutique Panama Strip Mall. Local A014 Telf. 271-3510 | Horario: Lun- Vie: 9:00 a.m. a 6:00 p.m. Sáb:8:00 a.m. a 1:00 p.m. WhatsApp:6323-8796
- DHL Multimax: Av. Ricardo J.Alfaro. Al lado de Multimax. Tumba Muerto. | Telf. 271-3521 | Horario: Lun- Vie: 9:00 a.m. a 6:00 p.m. Sáb: 8:00 a.m. a 1:00 p.m. WhatsApp:6325-1961
- DHL Obarrio: Av. Samuel Lewis. Al lado de Piruetas. Obarrio. | Telf. 271-3511 | Horario: Lun- Vie: 9:00 a.m. a 6:00 p.m. WhatsApp:6324-5956
- DHL Punta Pacífica: Edificio Metro Bank, planta baja. Entrando por el Hospital Punta Pacífica. | Telf. 271-3515 | Horario: Lun- Vie: 9:00 a.m. a 6:00 p.m. WhatsApp:6323-8817
- DHL Zona Libre de Colón: Av. Roosevelt. Calle 15 y 16. Servicios Aeroportuarios. Planta Baja. Local PB-7 | Telf. 430-9107 | Horario: Lun- Vie: 8:00 a.m. a 5:00 p.m. WhatsApp:6325-1963
If you are traveling within the next 3 weeks, please schedule an appointment to apply in person. You will be advised of your options on the day of the appointment.
Note: You can expect to be at the Embassy for 1-2 hours.
Processing Times & Return of Passport
Processing time for a full validity (10 year for adult) U.S. passport is approximately 3 weeks.
When your new passport is ready:
- You will receive an e-mail from Panama-ACS@state.govto the e-mail address specified by you in box 7 of your DS-82, notifying you that your passport is ready to be picked up. Please:
- Reply to that email indicating that you applied and sent your pre-paid return envelope via DHL.
- If you do not receive your passport in the next week, please contact ACS at Panama-ACS@state.gov.
- If more than three weeks has passed and you have not received an e-mail, contact us at Panama-ACS@state.govand request a status update.
Your passport will be returned to you by DHL once processing has been completed. Please ensure that you arrange a return delivery and make a note of your tracking number as the Embassy does not maintain this information. You may use the tracking number to track the return delivery of your passport. If applying in person, this can be arranged on the day of your appointment.
If you are also applying for a Passport Card, you should note that they take approximately 6 weeks to process. If you would like the passport sent to you before the Passport Card, please enclose two return delivery envelopes with your application.