To replace a lost or stolen passport, please gather the following documents and make an appointment to come in person to the American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit:
- Complete Form DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport, which is also available in hard copy at the ACS unit. Be sure to complete Item #11 with your name as it appeared in your lost/stolen passport, approximate date of issuance, and the passport number (if known). Mark the appropriate box for “lost” or “stolen.” If your passport was expired, write “expired” next to the “Other” box.
- Fill out a DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport, which is also available in hard copy at the ACS unit. Include as much passport information as you can, and answer all of the questions in detail. Fill out a DS-64 only if your lost or stolen passport is still valid.
- Obtain a police report documenting the lost/stolen passport from the Recepción de Denuncias Office, Fiscalía Auxiliar Building located in Calidonia, across the Don Bosco Church, (telephone numbers: 507-2921 or 507-2922) or from any of the Dirección de Investigación Judicial (DIJ) branches in the interior of Panama.
- Schedule a passport appointment;
- Obtain one passport photo (size 2”x2” with a white background). See photo requirements for information. Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected.
- Bring documentation of your identity: government-issued identification cards and/or proof of U.S. citizenship (i.e. expired or cancelled U.S. passports, birth or naturalization certificates).
- Pay the fee: $115 for applicants under 16 years old; $145 for applicants 16 years old and above, payable at the consular section’s cashier window in cash or by credit card (Mastercard, Visa, Diner’s Club, Discovery, American Express)
How to request an appointment
Applications for U.S. passports are by appointment only to ensure that you are prepared for the interview and have all the necessary documents. Click here to schedule an appointment online. Please do not schedule an appointment until you have completed the required form. If you have trouble scheduling an appointment online or downloading necessary form, please e-mail us at Panama-ACS@state.gov.
Processing time: Passports are printed in the United States. Please allow at least three weeks for your new passport to be available for pick up. You may check the status of your passport application online at: http://travel.state.gov/passport/status/status_2567.html
When your new passport is ready:
- You will receive an e-mail from Panama-ACS@state.gov to the e-mail address specified by you in box 6 of your DS-11, notifying you that your passport is ready to be picked up. Please do not return to pick up your passport before receiving this e-mail notification. If more than three weeks has passed and you have not received an e-mail, contact us at Panama-ACS@state.gov and request a status update.
- Return to ACS with your old passport. Your old passport will be cancelled and returned to you. You may send another person to pick up your new passport with a signed letter of consent, your old passport, and a copy of your identification.