Requirements to apply to be selected as a Representative Payee for an OPM Annuitant or Beneficiary
- Retirement card or any document or correspondence that reflects the annuitant’s or the beneficiary’s Civil Service Claim Number (CSA/CSF).
- If the beneficiary is a minor without a parent to handle the benefits or a disabled adult, the court appointed guardian should bring the Spanish original document issued by the court and the English translation which should be translated by a certified translator.
- The applicant should bring his/her current cedula or passport.
If no guardian is appointed by court, you should provide the following information:
From the treating physician, a statement on his letterhead covering (only for disabled adults):
- History of the specific medical condition (s), symptoms, physical findings, results of laboratory studies and therapy with the response to therapy. Please provide copies of all laboratory studies and in the case of psychiatric disorders, the findings of the mental status examinations and copies of all psychological test reports and copies of all discharge summaries of hospitalizations and operative reports.
- The diagnosis should be in accordance with ICD (International Classification of Disease) terminology or incase of psychiatric disorders, with DSM IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) criteria
- The duration of the medical condition(s) including the date the condition caused incompetency and the date or expected date of full or partial recovery. It should clearly state if the person is capable of handling their personal affairs.
Notarized Affidavits from two persons – one from a family member and a non-family member (for disabled adults and minors)
- State the relationship to and the amount of contact with the individual during the relevant time period.
- What actions or incident were personally observed which would show whether the individual’s condition interfered with the ability to handle their personal affairs and how often these were observed.
- The reason why a guardian was not appointed by the court to handle the affairs of the individual.
- Who has been handling the individual’s affairs.
THE MEDICAL REPORT AND AFFIDAVITS SHOULD BE TRANSLATED IN ENGLISH BY A CERTIFIED TRANSLATOR
The application could take from 4 to 6 months to be processed by the US Office of Personnel Management.