Travel Advisory for Panama – Level 4: Do not travel
The State Department has lifted the Global Level 4 Travel Advisory and advises all U.S. citizens to read the country-specific Travel Advisories and U.S. Embassy COVID pages for updates on the impact of COVID-19 worldwide.
Do not travel to Panama due to COVID-19. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for Panama due to COVID-19.
Travelers to Panama may experience border closures, airport closures, travel prohibitions, stay at home orders, business closures, and other emergency conditions within Panama due to COVID-19. Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Panama.
Do not travel to:
- Parts of the Mosquito Gulf due to crime.
- Parts of the Darién Region due to crime.
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Panama:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Panama.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Parts of the “Mosquito Gulf” – Do Not Travel
The “Mosquito Gulf” is an extremely remote and inaccessible area along part of the north (Caribbean) coast.
Do not travel within 10 miles of the coastline, between Boca de Rio Chiriqui to Cocle del Norte. Drug trafficking and other illicit activities occur in this area.
The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in this region as U.S. government personnel must obtain prior approval before traveling there and face additional restrictions before such travel is approved.
Parts of the Darién Region – Do Not Travel
Do not travel to the following areas of the Darien:
- All areas south of Jacque to Manene to Yaviza to Lajas Blancas cities to the Colombian border
- The city of Lajas Blancas
- The city of El Salto
Criminal elements and drug and human trafficking networks operate in these areas. Police presence and emergency response are extremely limited.
The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in these regions as U.S. government personnel must obtain prior approval before traveling there and face additional restrictions before such travel is approved.
U.S. Embassy Panama City, Panama
Building 783, Demetrio Basilio Lakas Avenue
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 (888)407-4747 or +1 (202)501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.