An official website of the United States government

Notarial services are available for all nationalities by appointment


Hand signing document

Consular officers at the American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit can provide services similar to the functions of a public notary in the United States.   People of any nationality may use our notarial services, prior appointment.    Please keep in mind that the U.S. Embassy-Panama assumes no responsibility for the truth or falsity of the representations of the document notarized and we do not provide remote notarial nor authentication services.

Please read the following instructions before scheduling an appointment.   If you are unprepared for your notarial appointment, you may be required to make a new appointment on a later day.   Please note that all documents to be notarized should be unsigned.

Fee:  The fee for notarial services is $50.00 per each consular seal, which can be paid in cash or with credit card. Notarial service fees are per seal and signature required, not per document notarized.   We cannot accept personal checks. Please note that the fee is non-refundable.

If you require to present a photocopy of any document to support your notary service, Consular regulations require us to charge $1.00 for each photocopy we must make.

Types of Notarial Services We can Provide:

  1. Certification of True Copies

The consular officer could certify a copy of a document that is purportedly an original document or a certified copy of an original document, presented to the consular officer for inspection to apply for a social security card or benefits. We cannot make true copies of public documents, such as birth, death, marriage, or divorce records.  If you need copies of these documents, you should obtain the copy of the document from the custodian of records in the state or jurisdiction that holds the records.  You may obtain true copies of Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, Naturalization Certificates, or documents from the former Panama Canal Zone by directly contacting the custodial agency.

  1. Using Your Valid U.S. Driver’s License to Obtain a Driver’s License in Panama

 Tourists visiting Panama may drive with a valid driver’s license from their home country for a period of 90 days from the date of entry into Panama.  Once you have applied for your residency you must also apply for a Panamanian driver’s license if you intend to drive in Panama.   SERTRACEN is the entity contracted by the Government of Panama for the issuance of driver’s licenses.   Please note that the test can be done in English or Spanish upon your request to SERTRACEN. If you choose to ratify your U.S. driver’s license to obtain a Panamanian driver’s license you should:

  • Bring your valid U.S. driver’s license and a copy of both sides (front and back should be on the same side of the sheet).
  • Upon arrival to the Embassy, please take a ticket number. You will receive an affidavit, which you should fully complete. Please DO NOT sign the form. We have a standard affidavit form available for this purpose. Please note that once this step is complete and you leave the embassy compound that this service is complete, any additions or corrections needed to complete your process of obtaining a Panamanian license will incur a new service fee and/or payment for new signatures.
  • The fee for this notarial service is $100.00 ($50 for each signature of the Consular Officer). This service requires taking an oath on an affidavit and certifying a true copy of the driver’s license.
  • Once you have completed this step you can follow the instructions here:  CLICK HERE FOR NEXT STEPS

Alternatively, If appointment slots are unavailable, please consider testing for your Panamanian driver’s license, Sertracen now offer the complete test in English.    Kindly follow Sertracen’s guidance on how to obtain a driver’s license in Panama for the first time.

  1. Retirement Benefits Certification

 You must provide original and a photocopy of the documentation showing your monthly income, it’s source (bank statement, statement from your paying agency) and your current passport or cedula.

When filling out the affidavit, please print neatly and write “N.A.” if an item does not apply to you.   Please DO NOT sign the form.   The cost of each affidavit is $50.00.

  1. Statement of Consent for the Issuance of a U.S. Passport to a Minor

 For this service you will not need an appointment.   This service is provided from Monday – Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. and its fee exempt. If you are applying for a U.S. passport for a child under 16 years of age, and only one or no parent is able to appear at the Consular Section for the passport appointment, the absent parent(s) may furnish a notarized Statement of Consent (Form DS-3053) , along with a copy of his/her government-issued valid photo I.D. with signature.    Please DO NOT sign the form.

  1. U.S. Savings Bonds

 Please refer to the Treasury Direct website for detailed instructions.   We are unable to cash your savings bonds – we simply notarize your signature.    This service is fee exempt. Please do NOT sign the document prior to your appointment.    Please come to your appointment with FS Form 1522 and FS Form 3500  (if needed) filled out but not signed.

  1. Acknowledgement

 An acknowledgement of execution is used for legal agreements, business documents, deeds, powers of attorney, financial, or real estate transaction documents such as Grant Deed, Warranty Deed, Bill of Sale, Closing Affidavit, Assignment of Lease Disbursement Instructions, Wills, etc. If you are signing a document on behalf of a company you must bring the company’s social contract that proves you may sign on its behalf; Please bring your documents fully completed, without any missing pages, assembled and ready for notarization in accordance with the requirements of the jurisdiction in which they will be used. The consular officer cannot prepare documents, provide legal forms, give legal advice, or accept legal responsibility for the contents of documents notarized. The Embassy cannot assemble your documents for you or provide legal advice on their preparation. If your documents are not ready for signature, you may be asked to make a new appointment. Please DO NOT sign the document prior to your appointment. When a will or any document to be notarized requires witnesses, please provide your witnesses. Persons signing documents or witnessing the signature on documents must bring either a current passport, cedula or to prove identity. Please note that the Consular staff cannot serve as witnesses.

  1. Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

 ITINs are issued by the Internal revenue Service (IRS) to nonresident or resident aliens who do not have and are not eligible to get a Social Security Number. The form W-7 can be downloaded from the IRS webpage. We can certify the following documents as true copies: passport (bio page), national identity card or birth certificate as appropriate, for which you must bring the original and one copy of each document. The IRS will accept certifications by a U.S. consular officer which should be affixed on the reverse of the copy.


Schedule an Appointment for Notarial Services

Appointments should be scheduled using our online appointment system.   An individual appointment should be made for each person seeking a notary service.

Authentication of U.S. Civil Documents

The Department of State Authentications Office can certify with an apostille stamp U.S. federal documents that have been signed by a federal official with the official seal of that agency, such as a U.S. Consular Officer, a Military Notary or a Foreign Consul that is registered with the Office of Protocol.   They can also authenticate diplomas or other documents from universities and other schools in the United States for use abroad.

For instructions and requirements on how to obtain a U.S. apostille stamp, please visit the website of the Department of State’s Office of Authentications.

Authentication of Panamanian Civil Documents

Consular officers may not authenticate Panamanian civil documents.  Both the U.S. and Panama are signatories of the 1961 Hague Convention which abolished the requirement that U.S. consular officers authenticate Panamanian civil documents for use in the United States and abolished the requirement that Panamanian consular officers authenticate U.S. documents for use in Panama.  The Convention became effective in Panama in 1991.

In place of U.S. consular authentication, the Government of Panama can place an apostille stamp on the Panamanian civil document.

For information on authenticating Panamanian civil documents or obtaining an apostille stamp, please visit the website for the Ministry of Foreign Relations, Authentication and Legalization Office, where you will also find information on their location, contact information and working hours.