Message for U.S. Citizens: U.S. Embassy Panama City, Panama (May 27, 2020)
Event: Planned Commercial Humanitarian Flight
The Embassy has identified two additional flights, operated by Spirit Airlines (both with the same flight number – NK6511), scheduled for June 3 and June 10. The flights will have a limited number of seats available. Any traveler with the appropriate passport/visa to permit entry into the United States who wishes to depart Panama is eligible to purchase a ticket. Travelers should carefully plan their onward travel as hotel options in Fort Lauderdale may be limited. Once in the United States, all domestic travel arrangements are the sole responsibility of the traveler.
The Embassy is aware that the Government of Panama has approved in-bound flights from the United States to Panama to provide Panamanian citizens and other qualified travelers the opportunity to travel to Panama. Questions about qualifications necessary and approval for passengers on these flights should be directed to the Embassy of Panama, in Washington, D.C. The U.S. Embassy in Panama will continue announcing all flights approved by the Panamanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs for departure to the United States.
NOTE – Empty seats on a humanitarian flight to the United States indicate that there is no longer a need to evacuate and may result in decreased frequency or cessation of future humanitarian commercial flights to the United States. Therefore, we encourage you to purchase your tickets as soon as possible to ensure you are able to return to the United States, as we may not have any additional humanitarian flights. The June 10 flight is now sold out, but there are still many empty seats on the June 3 flight. We encourage you to be prepared to remain in Panama for the next 30-60 days, or perhaps more, if you are unwilling or unable to take these flights.
The currently authorized, upcoming humanitarian flights are:
- May 27 United Airlines (SOLD OUT), departing Panama City’s Tocumen International Airport at 12:30 p.m. for Houston, TX, to arrive at 4:39 p.m.
- June 3 United Airlines (SOLD OUT), departing Panama City’s Tocumen International Airport at 12:30 p.m. for Houston, TX, to arrive at 4:39 p.m.
- June 3 Spirit Airlines, departing Panama City’s Tocumen International Airport at 1:00 p.m. for Fort Lauderdale, FL, to arrive 5:00 p.m.
- June 10 Spirit Airlines (SOLD OUT), departing Panama City’s Tocumen International Airport at 1:00 p.m. for Fort Lauderdale, FL, to arrive 5:00 p.m.
For additional information about these flights and to make reservations please contact Spirit Airlines directly. Spirit began ticket sales for these flights on Saturday, May 23. The Embassy encourages you to check their website regularly for updates.
There are no guarantees for these flights or the space available.
The Embassy encourages interested U.S. citizens and LPRs to purchase early and forward your purchase confirmation email to the Embassy immediately at PanamaCityUSCitizen@state.gov so that we can assist you with the issuance of salvoconducto passes.
The Embassy will continue its efforts to identify and seek approval for future humanitarian flights to the United States as long citizens indicate the desire to evacuate.
Consult the Embassy’s website (https://pa.usembassy.gov/) for additional information on the situation in Panama and the Department of State’s COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- U.S. Embassy Panama City, Panama
Building 783, Demetrio Basilio Lakas Avenue
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 (888)407-4747 or +1 (202)501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.