Message for U.S. Citizens: U.S. Embassy Panama City, Panama (June 30, 2020)
Event: Planned Commercial Humanitarian Flights
The Embassy has identified three upcoming humanitarian flights with seats available. The first flight is operated by Copa Airlines (flight number CM9234) and is scheduled for July 1. The other two flights are operated by United Airlines (flight number UA2417) and are scheduled for July 10 and 17. There are no additional confirmed flights with available seats at this time, so if you desire to return to the United States, it is important to book immediately. Any traveler with the appropriate passport/visa to permit entry into the United States who wishes to depart Panama is eligible to purchase a ticket. Travelers should carefully plan their onward travel as hotel options in Miami and Houston may be limited. Once in the United States, all domestic travel arrangements are the sole responsibility of the traveler.
The Embassy is aware that the Government of Panama has approved in-bound flights from the United States to Panama to provide Panamanian citizens and other qualified travelers the opportunity to travel to Panama. Questions about qualifications necessary and approval for passengers on these flights should be directed to the Embassy of Panama, in Washington, D.C. Airlines operating these flights, such as Copa Airlines, may occasionally be able to offer seats on the out-bound flights to some passengers. Please contact the airline offering these seats for sale directly about those flights. The U.S. Embassy in Panama will continue announcing all flights approved by the Panamanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs as humanitarian flights to the United States.
NOTE – We encourage you to purchase your tickets as soon as possible to ensure you are able to return to the United States. U.S. citizens who choose not to depart on these flights should prepare to remain in Panama indefinitely and shelter in place.
The currently authorized, upcoming humanitarian flights are:
- July 1 Copa Airlines, departing Panama City’s Tocumen International Airport at 3:00 a.m. for Miami, FL, to arrive at 7:15 a.m.
- July 2 Spirit Airlines (SOLD OUT), departing Panama City’s Tocumen International Airport at 2:00 p.m. for Fort Lauderdale, FL, to arrive at 6:00 p.m.
- July 9 Spirit Airlines (SOLD OUT), departing Panama City’s Tocumen International Airport at 2:00 p.m. for Fort Lauderdale, FL, to arrive at 6:00 p.m.
- July 10 United Airlines, departing Panama City’s Tocumen International Airport at 12:30 p.m. for Houston, TX, to arrive at 4:39 p.m. (departure and arrival time subject to change)
- July 17 United Airlines, departing Panama City’s Tocumen International Airport at 12:30 p.m. for Houston, TX, to arrive at 4:39 p.m. (departure and arrival time subject to change)
For additional information about these flights and to make reservations please contact the airlines directly. These tickets will be available soon, if not already, and the Embassy encourages you to check Copa’s, Spirit’s, and United’s websites regularly for updates.
Flights that appear to be sold out may have openings due to cancelations. Continue checking directly with the airlines for any openings.
There are no guarantees for these flights or the space available.
The Embassy encourages interested U.S. citizens and LPRs to purchase early and forward your purchase confirmation email to the Embassy immediately at PanamaCityUSCitizen@state.gov so that we can assist you with the issuance of salvoconducto passes.
The Embassy will continue its efforts to identify and seek approval for future humanitarian flights to the United States as long citizens indicate the desire to evacuate.
Messages to U.S. citizens with updates on repatriation flights are sent daily to citizens living in Panama while the Embassy is assisting with approved flights from Panama to the United States. Messages providing updated COVID-19 case numbers and information about the measures taken to combat COVID-19 in Panama will now be sent once per week, unless there are significant changes requiring immediate updates.
Consult the Embassy’s website (https://pa.usembassy.gov/) for additional information on the situation in Panama and the Department of State’s COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- U.S. Embassy Panama City, Panama
Building 783, Demetrio Basilio Lakas Avenue
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 (888)407-4747 or +1 (202)501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.