Health Alert – U. S. Embassy Panama City, Panama
Location: Loma Yuca, Santa Catalina District, Comarca Ngäbe Buglé (Bocas del Toro, Chiriqui, Veraguas), Panama
Event: On February 1, 2019 the Panamanian Ministry of Health announced that Panama is experiencing an outbreak of whooping cough (Pertussis). As of January 31, 2019, the Ministry reports a total of 81 cases, with nine confirmed deaths. All of the cases occurred in the northwest mountainous area of Panama, within the Comarca Ngäbe Buglé. The Ministry reports the municipality of Loma Yuca in the Santa Catalina District represents the most affected area.
U.S. government personnel are advised to verify their Pertussis vaccination is up to date. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends a booster every 10 years.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates and the Panamanian Ministry of Health website at http://minsa.gob.pa
- Consult the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for country health advisories or call CDC at 800-232-4636 or 404-639-3534.
- U.S. Embassy Panama City, Panama
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Panama Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter