Event: Travel Advisory – Panama Level 4: Do Not Travel
Do not travel to Panama due to COVID-19. Exercise increased caution due to crime. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for Panama due to COVID-19, indicating a very high level of COVID-19 in the country. Your risk of contracting COVID-19 and developing severe symptoms may be lower if you are fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized vaccine. Before planning any international travel, please review the CDC’s specific recommendations for vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers. Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Panama.
Do not travel to:
- Parts of the Mosquito Gulf due to crime.
- Parts of the Darién Region due to crime.
Read the country information page.
- If you decide to travel to Panama:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebookand Twitter.
- Review the Country Security Report for Panama.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Parts of the “Mosquito Gulf” – Do Not Travel
The “Mosquito Gulf” is an extremely remote and inaccessible area along part of the north (Caribbean) coast.
Do not travel within 10 miles of the coastline, from Boca de Rio, Chiriqui to Cocle del Norte.
Drug trafficking and other illicit activities occur in this area.
The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in this region as U.S. government personnel must obtain prior approval before traveling there and face additional restrictions before such travel is approved.
Parts of the Darién Region – Do Not Travel
Do not travel to the following areas of the Darien:
- All areas south of Jaque to Manene to Yavizato Lajas Blancas cities to the Colombian border
- The city of Lajas Blancas
- The city of El Salto
Criminal elements and drug and human trafficking networks operate in these areas. Police presence and emergency response are extremely limited.
The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in these regions as U.S. government personnel must obtain prior approval before traveling there and face additional restrictions before such travel is approved.
U.S. Embassy Panama City, Panama
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 (888)407-4747 or +1 (202)501-4444
Panama Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
To unsubscribe from future messages please go to the following link: https://step.state.gov/STEP/Pages/common/Subscribe.aspx