Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Panama City, Panama (December 16, 2020)
Events: New Nationwide Movement, Business, and Alcohol Restrictions in Panama
On December 15, the Government of Panama announced new nationwide movement and business restrictions between December 18 and January 4.
- From December 18 through January 4, curfew is set from 7:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.
- Beginning December 18, access to rivers and beaches is forbidden.
- From December 23 at 5:00 a.m. through January 4 at 5:00 a.m., access to/from beaches and the interior will be restricted. There will be checkpoints in strategic locations such as Chorrera, Divisa, La Villa, Chagres, Viguí.
- Full lockdown from December 25 at 7:00 p.m. through December 28 at 5:00 a.m.
- Full lockdown from January 1 at 7:00 p.m. through January 4 at 5:00 a.m.
- International borders remain open.
- One person per household allowed into supermarkets, with the exception that a minor or a person with a disability may also enter.
- From December 18 through January 4, there will be a prohibition on the sale of alcohol (“ley seca”) from 7:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.
- Government construction projects related to responding to the pandemic are exempted from curfew hours.
The Embassy will continue to send messages, as needed, about larger changes that may affect U.S. citizens in Panama. Minor changes, such as new health recommendations or reopening of a new sector of Panama’s economy, will be placed on the Embassy’s COVID-19 Information page. For all the details about changes made by the Government of Panama in response to the pandemic, please see the daily announcements from the Ministry of Health.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Panama.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. Embassy Panama City, Panama
Building 783, Demetrio Basilio Lakas Avenue
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 (888)407-4747 or +1 (202)501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.