Event: COVID-19 Situation Report and Reminders
Effective August 24, 2020, The Government of Panama will end the movement restrictions in Panama and Panama Oeste that previously permitted adults to go outside during a two-hour period determined by cedula or passport number. This will now be replaced by a curfew from 7:00pm until 5:00am, Monday through Friday. Sunday remains a day of total quarantine, beginning on Saturday at 7:00pm and being lifted on Monday at 5:00am.
Movement in the Panama and Panama Oeste provinces remains restricted based on gender. Gender restrictions allow for movements as follows:
- Women: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
- Men: Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
Total quarantine continues in the provinces of Bocas del Toro, Colon, and Chiriqui from Friday at 7:00pm until Monday at 5:00am. There is also a curfew from 7:00pm until 5:00am Monday through Thursday.
All other provinces have a curfew from 7 pm to 5 am, Monday through Sunday.
Children are free to move about during the day, accompanied by a parent, guardian, or caretaker. Pets can also be taken outside with a responsible person. Sports that allow for social distancing, such as golf, tennis, bicycling, and skating, are all permitted if done with a mask and following other health protocols.
Parties, social meetings, and the use of gyms and pools, as well as other social areas in apartment complexes or common spaces remain prohibited.
The Government of Panama also announced the reopening of wholesale trade businesses, real estate, housing developer, and property appraisal offices starting Monday, August 24.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Panama.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 (888)407-4747 or +1 (202)501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.