Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Corona virus (COVID-19), first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 100,000 reported cases worldwide.
On March 11, the Panamanian Ministry of Health announced 14 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Panama.
The government of Panama has implemented enhanced screening, including all cruise ships, to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit the website of the Panamanian Ministry of Health (in Spanish) for additional information on these new measures. The government has implemented school and university closures nationwide until March 20. Schools and universities in San Miguelito, Panama Centro, and Panama Norte will remain closed until April 7. The government has also suspended large gatherings until April 7. Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information.
Actions to Take:
· Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
· For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19for information on conditions in Panama.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 (888)407-4747 or +1 (202)501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.