Event: Stricter COVID-19 Measures in Chiriqui and Veraguas
On May 4, Panama’s Ministry of Health (MINSA) announced stricter curfew and lockdown measures for the provinces of Chiriqui and Veraguas due to an increase in COVID-19 cases.
- Effective May 14, curfew hours in Chiriqui and Veraguas will be from 8:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m. Monday through Saturday. Commercial operations will continue but close at 7:00 p.m.
- Effective May 16, Chiriqui and Veraguas will be under full lockdown from Saturday at 8:00 p.m. until Monday at 4:00 a.m.
Additionally, effective May 17, facial screens, as well as masks, will be mandatory on public transportation throughout Panama.
The rest of Panama remains under nationwide curfew Monday through Sunday from 12:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. Additional movement and business restrictions vary by region.
The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens in Panama that it is always obligatory to comply with local laws.
MINSA reminds citizens and residents of Panama that staying at home, not touching your face, and washing your hands frequently are the best means of prevention against COVID-19. It also requires the use of masks when in public.
The Embassy will continue to send messages, as needed, about larger changes that may affect U.S. citizens in Panama. Minor changes, such as new health recommendations or reopening of a new sector of Panama’s economy, will be placed on the Embassy’s COVID-19 Information page. For all the details about changes made by the Government of Panama in response to the pandemic, please see the daily announcements from the Ministry of Health.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Panama.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. Embassy Panama City, Panama
Building 783, Demetrio Basilio Lakas Avenue
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 (888)407-4747 or +1 (202)501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.